Dental sealant for kids contributes to cavity-free smiles in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Tooth decay is an epidemic in this country. According to a United States National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, nearly 28 percent of kids have a cavity by age five, and incidence jumps to over 51 percent by age 11. Your child does not have to be one of them. With good home care and some sensible precautions such as dental sealant treatment for molars (available at Sweet Tooth Children’s Dentistry in Rancho Cucamonga, CA) most cavities can be prevented.
Understanding dental sealants for children
Molars are the large teeth at the back of the mouth. The biting surface of molars is covered with contours and deep grooves. Food particles become lodged in these grooves and depressions, allowing cavity-causing bacteria to flourish. That makes molars prone to tooth decay – it is where nine in ten cavities occur.
Sealants are like a tooth colored coating painted onto chewing surfaces of molars. It seals teeth by flowing into crevices, then hardens in about 1 minute.
Dental sealants are ideally applied as soon as adult molars emerge, usually at about age 6 (first molars) and age 12 (second molars). Sometimes we recommend them for baby molars, particularly if we can see that your child is prone to cavities on the biting surfaces where crackers and gummies stick in the teeth. However, it is never too late to add this layer of protection.
Benefits of dental sealant for kids in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
- Application is quick and painless. It adds only a few minutes to a checkup appointment.
- It works! Sealant reduces cavities by 80 percent for two years and provides about 50 percent protection for another four years. A child whose molars are not sealed is three times more likely to get a cavity than a child with teeth protected by dental sealants.
- Sealant can be reapplied when it begins to wear off.
- The material is BPA-safe.
- Treatment is cost-effective. Even one filling or crown can exceed the expense of multiple sealants.
Make dental sealants part of a comprehensive cavity fighting strategy
Our dentists are happy to help you design a dental health program that fits your family’s lifestyle and your child’s oral condition. In addition to dental sealants, good home hygiene and regular professional cleanings can be complemented with fluoride varnish and silver diamine fluoride treatment. Since straight teeth are easier to keep clean, orthodontics may be a consideration as well.
Sweet Tooth Children’s Dentistry welcomes new patients from Rancho Cucamonga, Montclair, Ontario, and Fontana. Call 909-675-0550 for an appointment at our office.