At Sweet Tooth Orthodontics and Children’s Dentistry in Rancho Cucamonga, CA, our dental team strives to make your child’s dental visits fun, comfortable, and enjoyable! Sometimes, children may be a bit fearful or anxious about their dental visit, particularly if they will be receiving restorative care such as fillings. That’s why we offer dental sedation for kids who receive their dental care at our practice.
Benefits of dental sedation for kids
First and foremost, dental sedation can help keep your child comfortable and relaxed during their treatment. Your child’s experience with going to the dentist early on in life forms the foundation for their attitudes towards dental care as they grow into adults and developing a positive attitude towards dentistry that is free from fear is part of our goal in taking care of your child’s teeth. We all know someone who has a dental phobia and having a fearful attitude towards the dentist can prevent your child from receiving the preventive and restorative care they need when they are older.
The most common type of dental sedation we provide is nitrous oxide, a colorless and odorless gas that has been used for many decades. In addition to keeping your child comfortable, using nitrous oxide has several other benefits while your child is receiving their dental care:
- It works as both a mild sedative and mild analgesic, which means that it both keeps your child calm and reduces their pain
- It enables your child to relax enough that the dentist can perform necessary procedures without as much squirming or movement, but your child is still awake and can respond to cues and instructions throughout their treatment
- It takes effect quickly – typically within about 5 minutes – and wears off as soon as the flow of nitrous oxide is cut off; to assist this process, we administer oxygen for a few minutes so your child feels like his or herself again before they even step out of the dental chair
- It is safe and we monitor your child throughout the whole process
- It is administered through a simple nasal mask
- Though it is not a substitute for local anesthesia, if any numbing is necessary, it can lessen the sensation of the needle being used to administer the anesthetic
For particularly anxious children or those who cannot undergo their dental procedures while they are awake, we also offer other sleep dentistry options, including general anesthesia administered by an anesthesiologist right here in our office, so your child can receive their care in a familiar and friendly environment.
We are here to answer your questions
If you have been putting off dental treatment for your child due to fears or anxieties about their treatment, dental sedation may be the right choice. We are happy to answer any questions that you have about the treatment and its effects and talk through any other concerns you or your child may have. To schedule an appointment or learn more about dental sedation for kids, call our Rancho Cucamonga, CA office today at 909-675-0550.Back to Nitrous Oxide Page