You’ve likely heard of dental crowns for adults, but did you know that they are also a common and beneficial tooth restoration for kids? Also called dental caps, dental crowns are a great way to restore and protect a damaged tooth, whether it is a compromised baby tooth that needs to last for several more years or a permanent tooth that has sustained damage or decay. At Sweet Tooth Orthodontics and Children’s Dentistry in Rancho Cucamonga, CA, Dr. Julia Brown and our team of dental professionals provide gentle care and natural-looking restorations to help keep your child’s smile beautiful, healthy, and functional!
Why a dental cap might be recommended
Dental caps are a versatile treatment that restores the natural biting surface, protects the tooth from further damage, and helps the tooth function properly again. Dental crowns may be recommended in several different scenarios:
- A large part of a tooth has become decayed
- A tooth has fractured into two or more pieces
- The tooth has become worn down
- A tooth has a large chip or break
- Root canal therapy has been performed on the tooth
In addition, there are multiple different materials that can be used for kids’ dental crowns depending on their specific needs. For example, zirconia tooth caps look and feel the same as a natural tooth and are a great option for the front teeth, whereas stainless steel crowns are ultra-durable and can provide the protection and stability necessary to withstand the chewing forces that are placed on your child’s molars in the back of their mouth.
Benefits of dental crowns for kids
When it comes to restoring your child’s smile, dental crowns have many benefits:
- They are durable and provide long-lasting protection
- They are less expensive and time-consuming than some other types of treatments, such as extractions followed by tooth replacement for permanent teeth
- They are less likely to fail than a filling if a large portion of a tooth has become compromised
- They help your child avoid embarrassment, speech problems, and potential future issues with their oral health such as tooth misalignment, bite problems, or painful TMJ disorders
The process for getting a dental crown is easy and pain-free for your child at Sweet Tooth Orthodontics and Children’s Dentistry. To schedule your child’s visit, call our Rancho Cucamonga office today! We can be reached at or you can request an appointment online.Back to Dental Crowns Page